Tuesday, November 15, 2016

sweater weather.

While things are cooling off in the states, it’s still hot as ever here. The rainy days are nice because they keep things cool(ish), and I am eternally grateful for them. Some days, I even wear a sweater. In 85 degrees. It’s actually insane. I think, for the most part, I just love sweaters and I’ll jump on any opportunity to wear one. Jennifer probably knows better than anyone how much I love sweaters, especially that big white one from SVDP with the hot chocolate stains all down the front and the mustard stains on the arms. That sweater is everything. If anything, the stains from some of my favorite foods just make me love it more, even though it’s very literally a piece of trash. “One man’s toxic sludge is another man’s potpourri.” Name that movie. It’s my favorite.

So, I’m twenty-three now! Weird how that happens. Birthdays, man.


meant to send this to you, mom. sorry for the awkward solo shot, but do you like my new lavalava?
My birthday was the WEIRDEST. Lots of highs and lows. My day was filled with facetimes and messages from the most loving people in my life, a bit of news I didn’t love receiving, surprises from my students, election results (because it was the 8th in the states while it was the 9th here), homemade ice cream cake from my roommates, and a cold, dark beer at the end of the day to ring in the new year.

In homeroom that morning, none of my juniors showed up. So for the first like, ten minutes, I had my nose buried in a book that had more than captivated my attention (thanks, Mrs. Beckstrand) and I didn’t even notice. 

All of a sudden, one of my freshmen students sprinted up to the junior building and said, “Ms. Ackels! Happy Birthday! Was I the first one to tell you?!??” He was, in fact, the first student to wish me a happy birthday, and he took great pride in that.

Just after, a whole herd of freshmen arrived with leis and nuunuws (flower crowns) for me. They also asked to take a selfie with me, you can see that below. It’s hilarious.


some Micronesians that learn Micronesian History from me.
Soon, though, it was nearing time for us to all be at morning assembly and I’m supposed to have taken roll by then. Still no sight of the juniors, so I knew something was up. 

During assembly, I saw all of my student’s faces. So obviously something was about to happen. Each time there is a birthday, our principal asks everyone to sing “happy birthday” during assembly. So, as they began singing, the students came up one by one to lay a nuunuw on my head. It was so sweet! And honestly so unexpected. I got so many! “Fat staaaaacks, Mr. White.”


Devi and me, me and Devi. Her birthday was a couple of days before mine.
After assembly, as I rushed to my first period class, a few of my homeroom students asked me to come to their classroom during lunch for another surprise. I was amped. A surprise, for me. 

I hate surprises. But I knew this one would be good. Just a word for the wise, NEVER tell me you have a surprise and make me wait for it. The worst.


I love the flowers here so much.
The morning had it’s ups and downs, but lunch eventually came. I ventured over to the junior building to find several cakes, homemade desserts, and a variety of snacks. They wanted me to eat all of it, but obviously that would have been repulsive, so I respectfully declined. We all shared in the joy of this feast - my students and my coworkers all joined in. It was lots of fun, but short lived, as the lunch break doesn’t last forever. They told me they have a birthday party for their homeroom teacher whenever they really like them. These are the same kids that asked me a couple of weeks ago if I was a hippie (because of my “chill attitude and colorful and floral outfits”). So, in case you were wondering, hippies are in this season. And apparently, I am one.


junior gals.
After dinner, my roommates surprised me with a homemade ice cream cake. I had mentioned a while ago that if I could pick a birthday present for myself this year, all I wanted was an ice cream cake, and it was too cool that they remembered. It’s funny how overwhelming an act so seemingly small can be, but I was overcome with emotion when they set the cake on the table and started singing to me. It just feels good to be known in your community. To be cared for even in a simple way. Life is good here.


bestowers of ice cream cake.
The following day, I joined Nick and a handful of the students in his morality class on a trip to the hospital to do some visits. We went room to room to visit patients and give them a little company, which is part of a service component of the junior’s religion class. It was really nice, and it was a great opportunity to see the setup of the hospital. It’s small, but it has all the things you’d need. 

To no one’s surprise, I got emotional during this trip. It was really moving to see the students interact with the sick and lonely. To enter their room for just a few minutes each, singing songs, reading scriptures, and saying prayers in order to lift their spirits. It moved me to see the faces of the sick, it was evident how much they appreciated the visitors. I learned their names and I can’t stop thinking about them. I don’t know where I’m going with this, but it was an enjoyable experience. It was nice to see the way the youth here have such respect for the elders in their community. They care about them in a way that I can’t quite put words to. I wish you could just see it for yourselves.

One night this past weekend, a group from the public high school on Yap had a social event for all of the high schoolers, and as educators of high schoolers, we got invited. We were strongly encouraged to at least show our faces, so reluctantly we went. 

When we got there, I couldn’t help but giggle. All of the kids were sitting down. Music was playing, but no one was dancing. So, we took it upon ourselves to break the ice. Much like Tim, Pat, and Nuhs Joohlie in Heavyweights, I slid out onto the floor with my coworkers and we got DOWN. Like, I don’t think I’ve danced that hard since semi-formal senior year (Austin……..) or senior party (Austin…………………..). It was so much fun, and our students eventually joined us. It was SO much fun. But we didn’t stay the whole time. I felt like I was chaperoning prom or something. But I also felt like I was sweating at the sock hop in sixth grade in the small gym at SMS. The only things missing were speakers blasting “Low” by Flo Rida and “Lips of an Angel” by Hinder, as well as a bunch of nervous boys wearing polos and khaki shorts.

Get ready for another Heavyweights reference. Drum roll, please.

On Friday, we had the day off, so we set off early in the morning on a hike to surprise our friend Sana for her birthday. We left with mac and cheese in tow to venture up the Tamilygog Trail to reach the koyeng (a Yapese word for a hut-like structure that serves as a small meeting house of sorts) at the top of the hill. This is a place I had been before, but the view does not get old. You can see the ocean on three sides and the trees are unreal. 


halfway up.
Almost every time I hike, I think about the scene in Heavyweights when Tony takes the boys on a hike. Or the scene in Remember the Titans when the team has to get up at like 4 am to run to Gettysburg. I don't know why those are the same to me. "Leave him, he's a straggler. Stragglers must be left to fend for themselves." 

After a little while, Sana, Laurel, and Caroline (Peace Corps chicas) reached the koyeng as well and we had a picnic of mac and cheese, bacon, taro (local food), and pumpkin cupcakes. The view, the company, and the breeze were all spectacular. It was the perfect start to a long weekend.

The following night, we went to the sports complex to watch a couple of basketball games. It’s no AAC, but it felt great to watch a live basketball game. I don’t know a lot, but the Mavs don’t seem to be doing as well as the Cowboys (HOW BOUT DEM?! 8-1 are you kidding me???) so these Yapese teams will fill the void this season.


found this selfie of our neighbor, Summer, on my phone after the basketball game.
While I was watching, I couldn’t help but get flashbacks to my scorekeeping days in the DPL. I especially remember working some games with Greg where parents of 5th grade girls would get upset if we didn’t put the points on the board quickly enough, or if the refs were making bad calls — as if we, the scorekeepers, had anything to do with that. Man, those were the days.

Something random -

I don’t like to fix minor inconveniences. I’d rather live with the inconvenience than take the time to fix it. It’s one of my many flaws.

One example of this is the fact that I was living with no light in my room for about six weeks. Maybe longer, who knows.  Some ants got into the wiring behind the light switch and blew it out. I just never bothered fixing it because it seemed like more of a hassle to get it fixed than to live without it. There is only one electrician on the island that I know of, and he came by to fix it a few days ago. I got so used to the darkness that I hardly noticed it, so I still forget to turn on the light in my room sometimes when I need it. But now I don’t need to use a flashlight when I facetime, so I apologize to everyone who enjoyed that spooky arrangement.

Another example of me ignoring inconveniences is this weirdo rash / ailment that I have. The back of my neck had been itchy for several days before I said anything about it to anyone else, and upon inspection, my roommates realized that I had mysterious red bumps all over my neck which were creeping over my shoulders, down my back, and up onto my scalp.  I just assumed a spider went nuts one night while I was sleeping. Even after we realized that wasn't the case, I still didn’t seek an answer. I figured it was easier to just deal with the itchiness (by ignoring it, because I’m above scratching) than to go to the hospital to check it out. It wasn’t until it started to creep over to the side of my face that I decided to take action. “This is the moneymaker! I’m not that good of an actor! This is how I get the jobs, I know that!” Oh man, Cheaper by the Dozen is so underrated.

But anyway, I asked my neighbor Mary what was going on (after my roommates strongly encouraged me to inquire). It’s most likely heat related, curable by - you guessed it - coconut oil. Coconut oil is the Yapese version of Windex for Greeks. Also, Mary knows everything. Also also, PTL I don’t have boils because that’s a thing that people get. So.

Maybe this is too much information. “TMI. Too Much Information. Uh, it’s just easier to say TMI. I used to say ‘don’t go there, but that’s lame.”

I feel like this is a weird place to end. But I don’t know what else to say.

So I’ll just say this.

If you didn’t look at the moon the past few nights, we can’t be friends. Sha. Beep. So magnificent. Totally unreal. I’m illogically terrified of being lost in space, but I wanna go to that moon.


super moon in Maap before it was super super.
super moon outside of my apartment once it was super super.
And this.

Thanks to everyone who reached out and said hey on my birthday, especially the people who mailed me cards!!! And also to you few surprises who said super nice, really unexpected and uplifting things. You may or may not know who you are. But you’re the greatest. I feel blessed to have another year of living alongside and loving you people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment